Wednesday 7 May 2008

Isis Dump

It's been awhile since I last updated but Isis rolled around again so there's a clutch of new art to show. None of the images really stand out to me – I spent so much time just coordinating the other art and design that I didn't really have a chance to push myself. Oh well, they're serviceable enough. Next week I'm going to be doing some more promotion materials for A Few Good Men, which should let me really craft some stuff.

Here's a quick collage for an article on Turkmenistan, using photos taken by the writer. I was pretty lucky the different elements actually worked together as a space so well, though I tweaked the color a bit to bring it together. The background originally had a screen-tone texture I really liked but it made the text difficult to read.

Another full-page background, this time for an article on buildings that were planned but never constructed in Oxford. There was a great picture of a model for the unbuilt zoology tower in a book on the subject, which I used as reference for painting this in-construction version. The basis is a photo I took at the location where it would have been built, over which I rather tediously painted the building.


Here's a very last minute image for an article on 'guerrilla marketing'. Blah I get the feeling I've drawn these same characters a few too many times, kindof retreading the same old solutions. There's not much choice though when you have less than an hour to make a piece.


Oooh dear, oh jeez. This thing came into being sometime between 4 AM and 5 AM the morning of going to print. It was for an emergency piece commissioned to our last editor to fill the obligatory sex article spot. He chose to write about erotic snuggling so there was no choice but to illustrate him in bed with come-hither eyes. I still don't know how I feel about it.


1 comment:

Blimpboy said...

goddammnit. My nose does not look like that.
I am told, alas, that the rest of me does...