Sunday 17 February 2008

Ink and Paint

So recently there was a photography competition at Lincoln College, and encouraged by Josephine and without enough time to come up with a new idea, I decided to try some more experiments with dropping white paint into glass containers of inky water. She insisted that though the theme was portrait I could really enter anything, so I collected the materials and went to it. This process depends a lot on luck and careful refining, meaning I had to keep trying over and over again and reassembling the whole set up. After one night's work I decided to stop; taking one good image is much harder than using pieces of several as I had in the past, and I was increasingly unsure whether my piece would be accepted by the judge. It seems I was right, I saw her disqualify a great image because the figure wasn't looking towards the camera enough (and hence wasn't a portrait). In any case, here's one photo I was pretty happy with, lacking a bit of photoshop tweaking.


And here's an old Abecedarian comic where I had used the technique last time:

No comments: