Saturday 16 February 2008

Think Tanks

This illustration (once again for the last ISIS issue) began life in a hurry when we realized we were short a full-page image and the deadline was looming. I basically took the first idea I had and went with it, ending up with a sort of finished looking thing in a couple hours. When I went back to it though my skin crawled – the colors were absolutely god awful, and the quick photoshop brush I had used looked terrible. I slowly tweaked the image over the remaining time, and the result is that the image looks a bit too painterly, not strong or graphic enough to fit the magazine. Oh well, it's a reminder that an hour planning will save countless later.

Here we are, with those horrid colors:


Some tweaking, the colors are less jarring:



The colors are pretty much fixed:


Prettying up the brushwork in Painter 9, and Josephine came up with the orange/red background solution as I thought they were clashing too much before:

No comments: