Sunday 10 February 2008

ISIS Magazine Cover

Alright, to start off here's the cover I did for the latest ISIS. The theme was 'making it', and originally I was going to have some luridly lit hands and a face assembling a nondescript thing, but I ended up with a poorly rendered prometheus-like image that was unusable. So, started over, decided I needed reference photos and spent some time with a camera in front of my bathroom mirror in my underwear. I should really bother to do this more often, as it's too easy to just draw what 'looks right' and get a bland image. Anyway, the drawing ended up with some Egon Schiele-like guy building a bike, which came as a bit of a surprise. Later I regretted going over my lines with ink as it sort of ruined the face, but what I do like is the strong positive/negative space and the composition, so it's not all bad.

The version below is the image that was finally used, in which there's only minor correction to the photograph. Josephine's camera is amazing, it picks up such fine detail with a wide-angle lens.


And here's my original version of the cover, with the colors corrected to be much closer to the actual painting. People at ISIS liked the above one better, but I still don't know. I like how clean this version feels, and the character pops more.


No comments: